I graduated from high school in 2007. 3 years later, in 2010, I graduated from ASU with my Bachelors degree. I immediately started graduate school and 2 years after ASU graduation (this year), I graduated with my Masters degree.
I haven't wasted any time in gaining my education. (It sure helped that I knew what I wanted when I was 14 years old.) I never took a semester with less than 16 credits in undergrad and in grad school I doubled up on electives to save on tuition costs.
I worked so hard at gaining my education. I didn't always put in 100% effort (there are days where you feel as if it never will end and you can't put in any more effort), but it was definitely at the top of my priority lists right there with family and my faith.
I have always wanted to work hard at it, finish quickly, and become proficient, so that
- I could help/support my husband through his schooling (ask any of my friends, since I was a sophomore in high school, I was "getting my masters so I could put my husband through college").
- I could pay it forward: my brothers both needed speech therapy and their therapists had a huge impact on who they have become. I want to pass that on to other families to help their children and siblings have the ability to communicate too!
Problem: there are NO job openings within 30 min of Provo in any direction. I look nearly every day!
What does that make me? UNEMPLOYED
A month ago, I went to a doctors appointment. I had to fill out my new info. The form had me declare my status: Employed, Student, Unemployed. I about threw up as I marked unemployed.
When we were filling out our information for our new ward a couple weeks ago, Jared filled out all his schooling info and his work info. I fought to hold back tears as I wrote N/A on both.
I have had a job EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE since I was 15 years old.
Now, I have a Master's degree
and I am
unemployed.
I have struggled with this.
It has been a very humbling experience!
I still don't why.
BUT,
I have learned a few things through this trial.
- Heavenly Father has His own time table.
- Heavenly Father's plan is better than our plan!
- Heavenly Father has answers that dispel all the "why" questions, but He wants us to learn to TRUST Him. It is in these situations that we build faith.
I listened to Elder Busche's mini talk on YouTube. If you haven't seen it, watch it. I practically have it memorized I've listened to it so much over the last year. A statement he makes at the very end has stuck out in my mind as I have worried and wondered about my work status.
He says,
"When you are compelled to give up something or when things that are dear to you are withdrawn from you, know that this is your lesson to be learned right now. But know also that, as you are learning this lesson, God wants to give you something better."
I know that Heavenly Father is watching over us. I know that He hears and answers our prayers: on His own time table, in His own way, in His perfect way. I know that He knows of our needs and is concerned about us. He knows the desires of our hearts. He wants us to be happy. He wants us to be successful and to be self-sufficient. And ultimately, our lessons here on earth are to teach us to be like Him.
So I have looked for blessings that have come from this experience, and there are MANY!!
- I was able to plan a wedding, split my time between 2 states, and not have any ties to school or a job that would've kept me from fully enjoying and experiencing this great time in my life. Honestly, I have not had a break from school/work ever before. What a blessing that I was able to focus solely on my marriage!!
- I am taking in every moment I can to enjoy being only a wife. I have all the time in the world to make Jared breakfast, pack his lunches, and enjoy cooking dinner. I have had time to figure out all this name-change stuff, and adjust to living in a new place. When will that EVER be the case again?! - Being only a wife?! - never.
- When Jared has a break in school, I ride my bike down there and eat lunch or workout with him. The second he gets home from school/work, we can spend time just enjoying each other instead of throwing in late night loads of laundry or cleaning bathrooms. That won't be the case when I have a job either.
1 comment:
Kourtney-
Hang in there, timing is everything and I am learning that a lot lately. keeep searching and trying and don't be afaird of going out of your major and look for something else. My HR person in me wants to tell you "it's better to be underemployed than unemployed."
Enjoy this time of life!
Post a Comment