Sunday, April 7, 2013

Easter 2013

Easter was unlike any I have had in the past.  For weeks leading up to Easter, I thought of the traditions I grew up with, talked with Jared about the traditions that he had in his family, and thought of what I wanted our new family to do for Easter.  It really helped me reflect on Easter for not just the weekend, but for weeks. It was neat as I really pondered on what this holiday means to me and why we celebrate it.  However, not one of the family traditions that either of us have had in past years happened, nor did we start any new ones.  We just thoroughly enjoyed a wonderful Sabbath filled with Easter messages and a gratitude for it's true meaning.  I don't want to be without traditions in the future, but I actually am grateful that this year, all I had to focus on was the glorious reason for which we celebrate: that Christ the Lord is risen.  Easter hymns filled my mind all Sunday along with the Easter Program I participated in with the NAU Institute called "He is Jesus Christ" by Rob Gardner.  One song is titled "Woman, Why Weepest Thou?" stood out to me all day.  The first verse reads,

Woman, why weepest thou?  
Know ye not that angels now surround thee?  
Woman, why seekest thou the living among the dead?  
He is not here, for He is risen.  
Woman, why sorrowest thou?  
Know ye not that Heaven's eyes are on thee?  
Woman, the Savior's come.  
He lives.  
The Redeemer Lives. 

That is the true meaning of this holiday.  Not the easter eggs, not the chocolate, not the baskets, not the jelly beans.  It is that Jesus Christ lives.  He lives.  That is the greatest message this earth has ever heard, or ever will hear!  He lives that we, too, may live. 


Happy Easter!

No comments: