Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pennsylvania

After the D.C. area, we drove to Philadelphia, where we spent a couple nights.

Gettysburg: On the way to Philadelphia, we stopped at Gettysburg.  I loved the 360* art piece depicting the battle and the timeline they presented with it.  The museum there was well done! The grounds were huge, and the monuments scattered all throughout the battle sites were very neat!  Each American History site held miraculous stories that made me realize how much God had His hand in preparing this nation to be free!  Gettysburg was just one example of how miracles helped turn our nation into what it is today!
(a portion of the 360* painting)
(One battle ground monument at Gettysburg)

Hershey Town: That night, we also stopped in Hershey.  Yes, it's a city.  Yes, it is named after Mr. Hershey, the one who makes wonderfully, delicious chocolate!  We went on the Chocolate Factory Tour at Hershey World.  We didn't do any of the amusement park stuff, or the "make-your-own" activities, but it is a place with lots of fun stuff!  I was surprised to learn of Mr. Hershey's story.  His wife and he tried to have kids for many years, but couldn't so they opened a boarding school for young children who didn't have access to school or a stable home-life and they completed funded each child.  He donated his entire estate to this school when he passed away and the school continues to bless thousands of children each year!  Another neat fact, he originally opened a store called, "Just Caramels."  Oh, the irony!
(We found the kisses wall with every kiss ever made.)
(Chocolate made fresh that day tastes way better than what we buy in stores!)
(Look at that Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookie!!  It was pure deliciousness!)

Liberty Bell: We spent an entire day in Liberty square.  We saw the Liberty Bell first.  Behind the bell, it a view of the actual building it used to ring from - Liberty Hall.
 Liberty Hall: I actually walked in the building that the founding fathers did.  It was here that they wrote the Declaration of Independence and also where they signed the Constitution.  Another sacred place where God guided the men who did such brave acts.  Being our nation's capitol at the time, this was also the building in which the first senate and house were held in.  Cool stuff!
United States Mint: FYI, you have to have a picture I.D. to go inside here!  It was fun to see the process of how US coins are made.  We went on a day where it wasn't actually in use (most days it is); however, it was crazy to see the SIZE of the building and how complicated coin-making is!
Valley Forge: We spent the afternoon at Valley Forge Camp looking at the grounds and reading/seeing and watching what it was like to live there at the time the camp was in use.  It was a difficult time for the soldiers and many died of illness and poor health.  I can't imagine the freezing conditions, but I thought it was neat that George Washington encouraged the men to attend religious meetings each sabbath and that this "kept their spirits higher."  Don't we make a cute Martha and George?!
 Harmony: This might possibly win for my very favorite place that we visited on this trip.  Harmony, Pennsylvania is to this day a small town (not even called Harmony anymore).  But the Spirit I felt at this site was incredible!  It is true that remarkable portions of our Church's history took place in Harmony.  This is the place where Joseph met Emma and they fell in love.  This is where Joseph and Emma first lived in their own home.  It is where Joseph translated over half the Book of Mormon.  It is where the Aaronic Priesthood was restored by John, the Baptist.  It is where Joseph and Oliver were baptized.  What a remarkable piece of history!  I loved it!  There isn't much there yet, although the church already is in the planning phase of restoring the site.  Now, only this monument and a few signs designate it's significance.  We did go down to the Susquehanna River though where they were baptized and near where John, the Baptist appeared.  It was calm and quiet and still.  The Spirit testified to me that it was a sacred place.  I could've spent an entire day here enjoying the peace I felt there!
Pennsylvania is quite a neat place!

1 comment:

mwells said...

How fun Kourtney. I love my trip back East. I had just finished my Jr. Year of HS, and I truly enjoyed the spirit of it all!