Wednesday, April 27, 2011

6th Grade San Diego Trip

Last week, I packed up my stuff, and drove home the second I got out of school on Wednesday. Yes, I bailed halfway through the week.

Why?

To chaperone for A's 6th grade field trip to San Diego.

Yes, this is the second time I have chaperoned for this trip (I went with J too!) and many parents asked how in the world I got conned into going. How? Because it is absolutely some of the best one-on-one time I can possibly get with my siblings! I'll be honest though, it's an exhausting trip that left me stiff and burnt and worn out. I handled it much better when I went with J. I chalk it up to getting old.

Thursday night, we got on a chartered bus and "slept" on the bus while we drove to California. Friday, we woke up from our oh-so-comfortable bus seats and enjoyed breakfast on the pier as the sun rose.
And then the fun began. We went to the beach and saw lots of seals and sea lions up close and almost personal. Next, we drove over to Sea World to spend the day playing. I and another chaperone had a group of 8 girls and the second the gates opened, we were off and running.
We rode the roller coaster twice and then spent the day fitting exhibits in in-between shows. We were blessed with the most perfect weather. It was a little breezy but sunny and warm. It was PERFECT (so perfect, I didn't even realize I was frying in the sunshine! Oops!) The new dolphin show was absolutely amazing and Shamu was awesome as always!

That night, we got on a boat and sailed out to the middle of the ocean. The kids got to cast out a deep sea net and then reel it back in full of sea life. They caught some pretty rare things... probably because A was the one nominated to kiss the net for good luck.
Needless to say, her first kiss was a little... fishy! :)

And this was the view from the boat...
Absolutely breathtaking!

Friday night consisted of one the best nights sleep I have had in eons, despite the fact that I was sleeping in quite the nasty motel. Goes to show how tired I was!!
Saturday included the aquarium and shopping at the outdoor market mall. It was so much fun! I am so glad that A let me go with her! Not to mention, it was the greatest reason to get out of school and check out of all my responsibilities for the weekend.

Love you A!! Thanks for taking me!!

2 comments:

mwells said...

You are such a good sister! What a great memory for her! (And You!)

J. Paige said...

How fun!! I'm so glad you were both able to go- I LOVE the beach!