Monday, November 21, 2011

ASHA

ASHA: American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

Last week was the national ASHA convention held in San Diego. Since it was so close, I decided to go! I left late Wednesday night and drove the 7 1/2 hours to San Diego.

Thursday morning, I drove down the convention center and joined the biggest group of Speech Pathologists ever! It was overwhelming! I was among hundreds of professionals. I couldn't believe that I was even allowed to be there with them! I couldn't believe that I am almost one of them! It was a humbling and nerve-racking thought!

The opening speaker thanked our field for giving her communication after a stroke. It was powerful. I was reminded of the true reason for why I am in this field - to make a difference, to inspire others, to improve education, to empower people! How exciting!

The classes throughout the day were amazing and I feel like I was able to remember how much I do love this field instead of how much I despise schoolwork! It was refreshing! It was exactly what I needed to finish up this semester strong!
The classes were even better on Friday and I had the chance to even walk down the bay to my favorite little outdoor shopping plaza EVER - Seaport Village Plaza! I ate lunch as I looked out over the bay and I walked around enjoying the live music and the Christmas decorations! It was a wonderful afternoon followed by more wonderful classes!
Friday night, I drove just up the road to one of the prettiest buildings - the San Diego Temple! It was incredible! I was able to jump in with another group and enjoy the beauty and peace inside the temple! It was one of the more neat experiences I have had in the temple in a long time! I love how you are never done learning in the temple!

And....
.......I got this..........
............... for FREE!!!!!!
Yes, I won an iPad!!!!! I entered in a few drawings at the convention knowing that I probably wouldn't win. Much to my surprise, I WON! :) I was shocked and so excited! (I guess I have my mom's luck: she always wins drawings!!) I can't wait to start using it!

Friday night, Kristin and I (Kristin came with so I didn't travel alone) drove out to Kathy's and they took me out to dinner for my birthday! It was so fun and the food was amazing! Then we walked out on the pier and looked out at the ocean until we couldn't handle the cold any longer (a whoppin' 10 min).

It was a wonderful weekend full of so many awesome things! :)

2 comments:

Amber said...

Oh this looks like an adventure filled with purpose. I'm so glad you got to go. Love you. Can't wait to see you. Oh and I'm glad you were taken care of on your special birthday.

J. Paige said...

nice prize!