I had the opportunity to get up early Saturday morning and drive out to Bellemont, AZ with many other Welcome Center Students (we call the institute the "welcome center" here - it sounds less crazy-people-ish!). Bellemont is about 15 miles west of NAU. It's very small and quite new. The neighborhoods over there are cute and clean and inviting.
However, during our crazy storms just awhile ago, the beautiful town of Bellemont was hit by one of the nine tornadoes that happened to touch down that day. Many homes received a great deal of damage but miraculously, no one was seriously hurt. It truly is a miracle!
Anyway, the stake (a group of multiple local congregations from our church) put together a breakfast to be served out there to those who were affected and those who were involved in clean-up that day. Yes, that means I spent 4 hours helping cook bacon - in case you are wondering, that ended up being about 165 lbs of bacon between all those cooking it!! (And in case you are wondering, I smelt gooood after I was done! - I probably could've snatched up any boy I wanted while smelling like that!)
It was so neat though! I got to hear stories about homes. I got to see companies out there giving discounts for home furnishings, I saw volunteers eager to help in any way. I saw the faith of these families affected. I saw a community rally together.
We had a chance to also drive through the neighborhoods that were damaged. I had heard of things like "a boat being lodged in a roof" and "glass and wood acting as shrapnel" but I was not prepared for what I saw. In my mind I did not understand the magnitude of the damage because I was only 15 miles away and all we had was rain and typical Flagstaff rain; yet, what I saw was humbling. It was unreal. I guess part of it might be that I have never personally seen damage from a tornado up until this point. One home would look fine minus blown out windows, and the next would be missing its roof. Trees no longer reach for the sky; they lay at a 45* angle. There were cars that looked like they were used as tanks in war. I was completely taken back!

It made me realize that none of us are exempt from life's challenges. Not to say that these people had done anything wrong. I am just saying that no matter where you live or what you do or who you are, every single one of us will have trials and challenges and struggles.
All this being said, my mind raced over so many thoughts. It made me think of what truly is important. It made me think of what I value most. It made me realize how fragile life can be. It made me realize that I need to be more grateful!
It made me think of how I handle my trials. Would I be strong and humble and faithful if that happened to me?! I would hope so. I did, however, decided that my home could blow away today with everything in it, and all that would REALLY matter is that I had my family. But, even better than that, I know that even if something were to happen to my family, I am sealed to them FOREVER. How? Because my parents were married and sealed in the Temple by a man who holds the priesthood and keys of the sealing power. This means that my family will be a forever family, not just a family "till death do us part." I am so grateful for that blessing! I am even more grateful to be reminded about these blessings by the example of these wonderful, faith-filled, optimistic people of Bellemont!
How is it that every time I go to serve others, I end up feeling as though those I went to serve, in actuality, end up serving me more than I did them?! I guess that is how service works! :)
*Pictures from news articles referring to Bellemont Tornado


No comments:
Post a Comment